Monday, June 11, 2012

Kitchen Conundrum

COUNTERTOPS ARE IN!

And in keeping with the true insane lifestyle I lead, there were a few creeper moments. Here is a short excerpt from the first creepy convo:

countertop installer:  " Is that your real hair color?"
me:   " Sort of" (He is going to rape me and find out if the carpet matches the drapes)
countertop installer:  "Sure is pretty, my wife is strawberry blonde"
me:  "Great"



second creepy convo:

countertop installer:  "I wasn't staring at your daughter earlier, I was admiring the painting in the living room and couldn't stop staring"
me:  "Great"
countertop installer:  "Is that your only daughter?"
me:  "Yep, I have a son that is 22 and is on his way home from his bouncer job"
countertop installer:  "I'm 25, you could be my mom"
me:  "Great"


You can't make this shit up. Anywhoo, here are the counters:



                     


 So now it's time to pick a back splash. Here are my options:



Classic subway tile with dark grout
Disco ball in the kitchen
Barefoot Contessa style
DIY project

Boho Chic
Mirror to make the room look bigger
Source: squidoo.com via Melissa on Pinterest

Funky bold wallpaper
Source: zimbio.com via Melissa on Pinterest
So there you go. A decision needs to be made. I am now going to stand under a hot shower and try to erase the image of countertop installer man staring at my baby.

15 comments:

  1. Creepy! The kitchen is looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Counters = Pretty!!! I love the mirror idea for backsplash, but you have some other great options up there too.

    Installer = EW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know my vote - subway with dark grout. Countertops look great. When is the next dinner party??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello
    Kitchen Conundrum
    Fantastic job! Thanks for the post. I really liked being here. Can’t wait for more…

    ReplyDelete
  5. OM double G on the creeper installer! The kitchen looks great -- I just hope you can enjoy it after bleaching your brain from the creeper conversations! Since you did the stripes over your desk you could so do the funky wallpaper in the kitchen for the splash of color -- just kind of depends on what mood you want to set.

    And by the way -- Conundrum -- a wonderful, light table wine of 7 grapes that shouldn't go together but somehow do to make a really refreshing beverage -- one of my favorites especially in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The disco ball for sure... but make the mirrors pink.

    ReplyDelete
  7. miiiirror!! signed "magpie"

    (bad) joking aside, i love that option

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mirror = continual cleaning. Mirror will show every spot, every day. Mirror is faddy in a nice but ordinary kitchen. Bright, colorful tile or wall paper will suck in about three weeks. Use the plain subway tile with grey grout toned to the grey detail in the counter--ie not too dark, but not too light either. I now sound like Mrs. Blandings and her paint colors. Diamond, diagonal tile is hard to do well and not-so-good in a small space.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ewwww what crazy moment. Well it's good your counters look great and he doesn't have to come back. I'd shut all the drapes at night for a while though, scary!
    :)
    mikky
    www.todaloos.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. CREEPY!! LOVE that mirrorball but cast my official vote for Barefoot Contessa style. Heart her and her kitchens.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just did subway tile in our kitchen and could not decide on the grout color. Sooooo glad we did light color- really makes the tile itself pop.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Barefoot Contessa would be fantastic. I do love the mirror, but in person they are hard to maintain (constant smudging and splatters show up non-stop). Sorry the installer was so creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete