Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Beyond The Curtain

It was 1977, I was 12 yrs. old and I was going to visit my favorite cousin at college. She went to a school that was 45 minutes away from Baton Rouge and I thought she was the coolest thing ever. Patrice is 9 year older than me, a musician, and at that time a total hippie. Her apartment was like nothing I had ever seen and I loved it. Her collection of vinyl was massive and every doorway had beaded curtains. We sat on the floor and listened to Carly Simon, Janis Joplin, Carole King, and James Taylor and the bohemian in me was born.

Some people may think beaded curtains are cheezy but when I see them, I think of my cousin and smile. Today there are modern versions out there that can be super chic, but I still love a good wooden one. Hears to you my cousin, my friend, my heart.






















3 comments: